Whenever your company markets with trade show displays, your first priority is to be a strong representative and advocate of your product. Professional behavior at all trade show booths is a must.
Although you want to be serious and work to track down and qualify leads, sometimes the seriousness at trade show displays can become monotony and inhibit your ability to get things done. Your staff needs to be able to engage people who come to your trade show booths, and these tips can help liven them (and you) up.
- Go to the nearest trade show displays and ask the staffers what they do poorly. Enjoy their discomfort as they answer.
- Treat every new visitor at your trade show booths like your new best friend. Remember, they’re a person too – don’t treat them like a number in your sales reports.
- Take the funniest staffer at your trade show displays out for a nice dinner. Continue to do this daily for as long as you’ve got the trade show booths up, and even after!
- Play the trade show booths “drinking game”. Walk through the trade show displays carrying a bottle filled with water. Whenever a staffer asks you how you are, say “fine”, swig the water, and continue walking.
- Count the number of trade show displays you can pass before one of the staff tries to engage you.
- Collect some of the freebies that nearby trade show booths are offering. Be sure to give them back…to different trade show displays!
- Conspire with your co-workers to try working uncommon words into your conversations with people who visit your trade show booths. Try words like scurrilous, schism, or refractory for a challenge!
- Challenge your co-workers to find the worst/best/most (fill in the blank) of the convention day. The loser is responsible for buying lunch for the entire trade show booth sales team. Some great examples include most tacky trade show displays, best booth typo, and worst product description.
- Make a point of thanking every person who helped your trade show booths become reality, including the visitors who are currently making the trade show displays successful. Being thankful can be surprisingly fun!
- Before you see any other trade show booths, set up a bet with all your fellow attendants. Challenge each other to guess what the new trendy color will be. Loser buys drinks of the same color they picked!
- Bring your visitors in on the fun with a unique activity that communicates your message and is a lot of fun.
- Keep track of how many attendants trip over various utility cords. Extra points for every layer of safety protection designed to prevent trips and falls.
- Spread some smiles! Smiling is contagious; once you start, you’ll be surprised how many others take it up too.
- Plan ahead, and decide what you’ll do when you’re not at the trade show displays. What unique local attractions can you see?
- Set up a friendly competition with your co-workers to see who can generate the largest volume of qualified leads for the day. The loser buys drinks that night!
- Get a co-worker to put a sign on your back stating, “ask me about (your business/product name) and you can kick me”. Walk around to the other trade show booths and see who asks you!